Interprofessional Healthcare & Health Equity (IPHE)
This course develops foundation knowledge and basic practical skills to identify, analyze, and resolve ethical and health equity issues in clinical practice. You will integrate interprofessional collaboration and teamwork to learn ethical theory and reasoning, professional ethics and its historical origins, and approaches to health care decision-making.
Individual and Team Paced Collaborative Learning
The Interprofessional Healthcare Ethics and Health Equity (IPHE) is a one credit, 7- week course in the fall required of health professions students from the dental medicine, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician’s assistant, programs on the Anschutz Medical Campus, and there may be students participating from the anesthesiologist assistant program or School of Public Health. Using a hybrid design of online modules and synchronous sessions, students engaging in ethical analysis, decision-making, and interprofessional collaboration to inspire advocacy and action for an equitable health system.
has 4 overarching goals:
- Awareness: recognize ethical issues
- Analysis: Analyze ethical issues to arrive at a decision about the right thing to do
- Action: Develop a plan for how to do what’s right.
- Appreciation: Collaborate interprofessionally to maintain a climate of mutual respect and share values.
Interprofessional Healthcare Ethics and Health Equity (IPHE) Course Outcomes & Objectives
- Identify health profession values, principles, and professional codes of ethics
- Understand the historical context of health professions ethics
- Identify social, structural, and systemic ethical issues and how they impact healthcare access, delivery of care, and patient outcomes
- Apply key ethical concepts to identifying and exploring ethical dilemmas
- Demonstrate approaches to addressing ethical dilemmas
- Demonstrate interprofessional collaboration when addressing ethical dilemmas
- Compare and reflect on professional roles and responsibilities in the context of ethical dilemmas
- Identify the importance of situational leadership when facing ethical dilemmas
• Identify the importance of situational leadership when facing ethical dilemmas