Weekly Update on Research Reconstitution Activities
July 31, 2020
Dear Research Community Colleagues,
Our return to campus efforts continue as we embark on the back to school season.
Presently, the research ramp up process remains on track. We continue to refine our approach and respond to new developments, with a few highlights below. We will continue to provide summaries every other Friday moving forward, as warranted by new information.
Please continue to visit our webpages which feature specific COVID-19 research topics
including funding, research guidance and additional resources. These pages are updated accordingly with current information.
Research Ramp Up highlights are as follows:
- Building Entry: Those approved to return to campus can check in at any of the four campus entry locations for screening, which are noted in the daily health questionnaire, with specific information on opening times for each location. Student staffing is now integrated into the research ramp up process.
- Clinical Research: The ramp up of these activities continues. For CU Anschutz areas, protocol re-activation of Groups 1 through 3 and group 4.b, 4d and 4f have now been added as defined here.
- Community-Based Research: The community re-activation plan has begun. Click here for specific information and other details.
- All faculty and staff approved to conduct research in the community must take a one-hour COVID safety training. Training is offered each week on Monday at 11am. Details are here.
- EHS: As a reminder, PPE purchases for items not available on CU Marketplace should go through your COVID official. If you have any questions regarding procurement of PPE for your research needs, visit the webpage or contact PPEProcurement@cuanschutz.edu. The university continues to monitor the availability of PPE – while some items remain available through usual processes, others are becoming challenging (gloves) or very difficult (N95s) to procure. Please keep in mind that there are additional PPE requirements if you are working with SARS-CoV-2. Visit Biosafety Resources for COVID Research for additional details as EHS has guidance for such research.
As of July 28, 2020, tax-free ethanol, which has been critical to our lab/surface cleaning regimens, can be ordered ahead of time for pickup during regular tax-free ethanol sales hours (Tuesdays 10-11am, P15-1303). Orders can be placed by visiting the tax-free ethanol website.
All regulatory requirements must still be met prior to ordering ethanol online:
- Have a signed tax-free ethanol agreement on file with EHS
- 21-years of age or older to purchase tax-free ethanol
- Keep ethanol secured at all times except when being used
- Other requirements as well as a downloadable version of the agreement can be found at www.ucdenver.edu/ethanol
In addition, 32-oz gel hand sanitizer containers for research spaces on campus are now available for purchase at $8.00 each.
Thomas Flaig, MD
Vice Chancellor for Research
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus