Security Badging Office

Add Door / Area Access to Badge

To add door/area access to your University access control badge, please contact the designated approver for the desired area/building/clearance level. If you are unable to determine who the appropriate designated approver is, please contact the Security Badging Office at 303-724-0399. Outside of business hours (or 24/7 in some cases), many University building doors and parking lots can be accessed only by scanning your access control badge in front of a card reader (rectangular panel located to the right or left of the door or gate). If your access control badge contains the appropriate access, you should hear a beep and/or see a green indicator light as you pass it within one inch of the reader surface, after which you will have about five seconds to enter the door or gate. Do not hold or prop open card-access doors for more than a few seconds. This will prompt an alarm and/or a response from University Police. In the event of a card reader or card malfunction, you may contact the Security Badge Office during business hours or Police Dispatch after-hours by calling directly or utilizing one of several indoor and outdoor emergency phones on campus that ring directly to Police Dispatch. Before you can be admitted to an area, your identity and authorization must be verified. You can also report a badge or reader problem online.


Your access control badge provides documented physical access to secured doors/gates in CU Anschutz buildings (including the Health Sciences Library) and parking lots. Some exterior and interior doors are always locked, while others are locked only during certain non-business hours. When locked, most doors/gates can be accessed only by using an access control badge that has been programmed to open them. If your access control badge is programmed with the appropriate access, you should hear a beep and/or see a green light indicator on the card reader as you scan the badge within an inch of the card reader surface (rectangular panel located near the door or gate). Your badge swipe will unlock the door/gate for about 5 seconds. Do not prop or hold open the electronically controlled doors for more than a few seconds as this will trigger an alarm and/or response from the University Police. In the event of a card or card reader malfunction, please contact the Security Badging Office during business hours [see above] or police dispatch after hours at 303-724-4444. To arrange badge access to parking areas, you must contact the Parking Office [303-724-2555], located in the west end of the food court on Floor 1 [one level above ground] of the Fitzsimons Building (formerly Building 500). For all other secured areas, approval from each area’s designated approver must be obtained in advance. You or your designated approver may coordinate with the area's designated approver to obtain the temporary or permanent access you need. Once approved, the will be added electronically to your access control badge.


Your access control badge can be used at the Health Sciences Library to check out publications and other reference materials.


University policy requires the Anschutz Medical Campus students, faculty, staff and contractors to wear their access control badges (visible between neck and waist) while on campus and to immediately report a lost or stolen badge to the Security Badging Office so that access can be deactivated. You are prohibited from loaning or borrowing badges, admitting unauthorized personnel or gaining unauthorized access to campus facilities. The Electronic Security Division records each time your badge is used for access. You are required to protect your access control badge from damage caused by bending, cracking, breaking or hole-punching, or by exposure to heat, pets, washing machines, etc. If you transfer to another department or school, you must notify the Security Badging Office and follow procedures to obtain a new badge. Your badge is University property and must be returned to the Security Badging Office upon termination of employment, affiliation or student status.