Nature of Work:
- CU Innovations works directly with campus investigators to protect and license the intellectual property generated on campus. The Fellow will assist in evaluation and decision making around patenting, intellectual property protection, and licensing
opportunities. They will evaluate invention disclosures and review the technologies for their commercial and scientific opportunities.
- CU Innovations also works with researchers and clinicians to discover new treatments, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and technology to improve the lives and outcomes of patients. CU Innovations works directly with researchers at the University
of Colorado, and staff at Children’s Hospital Colorado to commercialize their innovations. It is our mission to enable commercialization through the best route for a given technology and ensure that technologies can benefit patients. Biotechnology
innovations include but are not limited to: oncology, regenerative medicine/stem cells, ophthalmology, novel drug delivery methods, therapeutic RNA, surgical devices, and liquid biopsy diagnostics.
- The Fellow will evaluate and advance a portfolio of life science and digital health technologies and will execute on the plans for reshaping the innovation ecosystem at the CU Anschutz.
- The Fellow will also assist in licensing of promising technologies in the healthcare and biotechnology industries. The Fellow will assist in creating market summaries of available technologies, including creating technical summaries of inventions,
as well as generating marketing documents for those technologies. Fellows may also assist in licensing disclosed technologies to third-parties, including outreach to relevant industry partners.
- The Fellow will work closely with physicians, biotechnologists, health IT professionals and licensing associates to accelerate the impact of promising new innovations in healthcare.
- Analyze invention disclosures submitted by investigators including:
- Meet and interview investigators to better understand disclosures
- Assess market opportunity and risks, product risks, competitive landscape, legal landscape, and next steps required for development
- Assess disclosed technology and advise the Technology Team on the scientific aspects therein
- Compose summary report for the Technology Team
- Draft compelling summaries of University technologies to be used for marketing projects including
- Find possible licensees for technologies
- Assess development pipeline and current competitors in the technology space
- Create a compelling marking story and highlight distinct technological and market advantages of University technologies
- Search for technology licensing contacts and make first contact with them through email marketing campaigns while tracking progress and trends
- Become fluent in the use of the GlobalData and PitchBook databases, as well as other market analysis tools. Proficiency with available library resources
- Lead and manage special projects through to completion
- Participate in technology and licensing events
- Stay informed on latest technological innovations and market trends/opportunities
- Assist with specific assignments as requested by licensing team
- Completed or pursuing an advanced degree (PhD preferred) in life/health/physical sciences or in business with relevant knowledge of biological/life sciences or professional degree in health sciences (medicine, pharmacy, nursing, bioengineering)
- Bachelors degree from accredited institution
- Experience in scientific/technology review, business, marketing, sales, technical writing and/or licensing analysis
- Ability to develop and maintain a network of professional contacts
- Ability to work independently and to manage a large, diverse set of tasks and projects with an attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated professional with exceptional analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to values and strong business ethics
- Strong knowledge of Excel including advanced functions.
- Ability to produce summary reports of marketing/technology research and present those findings to the Technology Team
- Ability to produce well designed professional looking PowerPoint presentations
- Ability to evaluate novel technologies from a technical and business standpoint
Wages and Benefits:
Wages are hourly at $18/hour.
This position is available to students only, part-time and 100% remote. Hours are flexible and are expected to be around 10-20 hours/week. Work study eligible preferred.
Required Application Materials:
- A current CV/resume
- A 1-page cover letter
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we may conduct background investigations for this position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication
and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.