phone: (303) 517-7164
office: Children’s Hospital Colorado, Admin Pavilion, C1416R
Clinical Nurse Ethicist, Co-chair, Children's Hospital Colorado Ethics Committee
Heather’s clinical background is in the neonatal intensive care unit, where she frequently encountered ethical issues in the care of patients and families. Participation in both unit-based and hospital-wide ethics committees at Children’s Hospital Colorado led to a Master of Science in Healthcare Ethics.
Prior to her nursing career, Heather produced theatre for 17 years. Her background in both the humanities and the sciences supports her well in the Clinical Nurse Ethicist role, through which she provides ethics education, consultation and policy review and development in clinical settings throughout the hospital. Heather co-chairs the Ethics Committee and chairs the Ethics Liaisons Committee at Children’s Hospital Colorado.
- BA, University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
- BSN, Regis University, Denver, CO
- MS in Healthcare Ethics, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- Ethics consultation and mediation
- Shared decision making in pediatrics
- Interdisciplinary teamwork and professionalism
- Ethics, quality and patient safety
- Nursing advocacy and moral agency